I kid you not.
I exaggerate not.
I ate not a lot.
What triggered me to make this cake was the overly ripe bananas we had at home. Best decision ever. I don’t think we’re ever gonna eat fresh banana again. From now on, I think I will buy the ripest bananas I can find, OR buy regular bananas and wait till they are overly ripe (with brown spots) because the riper they are, the more banana-ey the cake will taste. You know how banana cakes are usually hard and dry? Ooooh, this one was super moist and soooo banana-ey!
I got this recipe online and tweaked it a little to my liking.
Here’s the recipe:
2 cups ripe banana, mashed
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
A pinch of salt
3/4 cup softened butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1.5 cups buttermilk (If unavailable, substitute with regular milk + lemon juice OR milk+vinegar)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 135 degrees celcius (275 F)
2. Grease and flour a baking pan. I used a 30cm x 22cm pan and it was just perfect. This recipe yields a lot, so I don’t know if it will fit in a smaller pan.
3. In a small bowl, mix the mashed bananas with lemon juice.
4. In a bigger bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt.
5. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. I don’t have an electric mixer. I did this by hand. The HB tried to help. Hilarity ensued. I literally laughed till I cried. MUST.BUY.MIXER.IN.MALAYSIA.
6. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in the vanilla.
7. Beat in flour alternately with buttermilk (i.e, some flour, some milk, some flour, some milk)
8. Stir in the banana mixture.
9. Mix chopped walnuts into mixture.
10. Pour batter into baking pan and bake in preheated oven for about an hour or till toothpick inserted comes out clean.
11. Remove from oven and place directly into freezer for 45 minutes. This apparently makes the cake REALLY moist.**
12. Switch on the TV, switch off your phones and enjoy the best banana cake ever.🙂
Note** : I intensively googled “putting hot stuff into your freezer”. Apparently the freezer only works harder, and putting hot stuff into the freezer doesn’t spoil any part of the freezer. It is akin to an aircond cooling down a hot room as compared to another aircon cooling down an already cool room. The aircon just works harder.
Try it out and tell me whether or not you agree with my post title😉